About School Guide
The National Diabetes Education Program’s (NDEP) Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel is a resource designed to empower school personnel and administrators to create a safe learning environment and equal access to educational resource opportunities for students with diabetes. Developed with leading diabetes, pediatric medicine, health professional, and education experts, the guide offers a coordinated team approach for helping students with routine diabetes care tasks and for taking action in case of an emergency—on school campus or at school events and field trips.
The full guide can be found here.
This guide was produced by the National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP), a federally sponsored partnership of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases of the National Institutes of Health and the Division of Diabetes Translation of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and more than 200 partner organizations. The following organizations support its use by school personnel.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- American Association of Diabetes Educators
- American Diabetes Association
- Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes
- Children with Diabetes
- The Endocrine Society
- Indian Health Service, Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
- National Association of Chronic Disease Directors
- National Association of School Nurses
- National Association of School Psychologists
- Pediatric Endocrine Nursing Society
- SHAPE America
- U.S. Department of Education
Many National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP) partners contributed to developing this revised edition of Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel. A core writing and review team, a subcommittee of the NDEP’s Children and Adolescents Work Group, helped research, write, and refine drafts of the guide. Their dedication and assistance were invaluable.
- Barbara J. Anderson, PhD Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children’s Hospital
- Sarah Butler, MS, RN, CDE, NCSN National Association of School Nurses
- Crystal Crismond Woodward (Jackson) American Diabetes Association
- Brian Dimmick U.S. Department of Education
- Connie Evers, MS, RDN, CSSD, LD Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Anne Hoogstraten, JD U.S. Department of Education
- Paula Jameson, MSN, ARNP, FNP-BC, CDE American Association of Diabetes Educators
- Francine Kaufman, MD Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Barbara Linder, MD, PhD National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Catherine Marschilok, MSN, CDE JDRF
- Janet Silverstein, MD American Academy of Pediatrics
- Joanne Gallivan, MS, RDN Director, NDEP, NIH
- Rachel Greenberg, MA Diane Tuncer Deputy Director, NDEP, NIH